Kellys View Aeromodellers.
1. Chairman: Andries du Plooy. Contact no: 084580 1497
2. Time in chair: 5 years from 2010 until present.
3. Vice chairman: Andre Geyer Contact no: 082 773 9287
4. Time in chair: 5 years from 2010 until present.
5. Members. The club is about 20 members strong with about 12 members flying actively every Sunday.
6. Club facilities: The Clubhouse and facilities has the following:
a. Municipal water.
b. Toilet facility.
c. Solar panel power with inverter for 220V lights and sound system.
d. 12v Fridge.
e. Gas stove.
f. The pit area consists of five 2.5m x 2.5m tables with integrated 3m x 3m zinc roof.
g. Elevated under roof spectator and entertainment area on top the clubhouse.
h. Four starting and repair tables.
i. Pit area, clubhouse and entertainment area is protected by wrap around wooden fence.
j. Ten 1.5m x 1.5m cement ground slabs interlaced in the pit area.
7. Location of the club. The club is situated in the Bloemfontein Kellys View municipal area just of the N8 going to Kimberley. The route to the club is as follows: Take the Walter Sisulu road turnoff from the N1. Then drive 5.1km’s on the N8 towards Kimberley and turn left at the Kellys View board. Turn right immediately and follow the road for 1.7km’s until the railway crossing. Just cross the railway intersection turn left and then follows the Kellys View Aeromodellers signs.
8. Runway.Grass runways. Main runway is in the east west direction and120m x 5m long. The secondary runway on the right hand side of the club is in the south westerly direction and 100m x 5m long. Chopper and glider runway on the left side of the club 80m x 20m.
9. Events organized. Events that were organized at this club in the past were pylon racing competitions as well as interclub fun fly competitions.
10. Future of the club. This club is still a relative young club that has grown quite a lot in the past few years. A lot was established in the past 5 years that I am in the chair and you will find a club that has grown quite a bit in terms of what was achieved with the upgrading of club facilities, pit area and runways. This was all done with the help of club members which are very dedicated and passionate modellers.Two years back the club took the trophy for the club with the best “gees” at one of the local fly in events showing the character of our club members.
All of our club money is ploughed back into the club to upgrade the facilitiesso that we can give our club members the best flying experience to fly at.Another idea behind this is to get the club to a high standard so that it will be able host any major events like glider, fpv racing, helicopter, pylon racing, pattern, large scale aerobatics or fun fly events. This club has excellent potential to have such an event because we are close to the N1 highway, local businesses and overnight facilities.
The club has an excellent wide open flat field area making it great for any type of rcflying. It is also an excellent area for those for those glider guiders. You will find awesome thermal activities during the warm summer days at the field and therefore most of the club members will always have an electric glider in their cars bootfor thesetype of days.
Pattern or aerobatic pilots will also enjoy our unbroken horizon line to practice their flying skills to prepare them for competitions.
The future of this club is looking bright and with the help of SAMAA and our club members we will strive to become one of the best model flying clubs in South Africa.
11. Types of aircraft flying. We fly the following aircraft at the club.
a. Electric aircraft.
b. Gliders electric, non-electric and dlg.
c. Scale aircraft.
d. IC all types.
e. Combat aircraft.
f. Pylon racers.
h. Large scale aerobatic aircraft.
i. Slope soarers ( Botshabelo).
12. Competitions. At this stage our club members are not active competitive pilots as we are still a young club but this will hopefully change in the nearby future.
13. Day visitors. All visitors and SAMAA registered pilots are welcome to come and fly or visit with us at any time. Just remember to bring your own meat with for that late afternoon braai and socialising with a great group of guys and ladies at our club.